A Dung beetle is a beetle which feeds on dung or faeces. These some of the most fascinating insects in the world. Below are some fascinating facts about them.
1. Dung beetles completely rely on dung for food for both themselves and their larvae and will lay their eggs in the balls.
2. There are 7000 varieties of dung beetles they are found in all continents except Antarctica.
3. Dung beetles can use spheres of rollable poop-meals as portable AC units â€” and they’re damn effective ones, at that.
4. Dung beetles navigate via the Milky Way, the first known species to do so in the animal kingdom. They can orient themselves to the bright stripe of light generated by our galaxy, and move in a line relative to it, according to recent experiments in South Africa.
5. 3.3 pounds of the elephant dung can vanish in two hours when 16 000 dung beetles arrive to the scene to collect piece of dung for itself.
6. One dung beetle can bury dung that is 250 times heavier than the beetle itself in one night
7. Australia imports 45 different types of dung beetles to remove the cattle dung.
8. Dung beetles are very strong animals. They can carry the weight which is 50 times heavier than their body weight.