Pranab Mukherjee, the upcoming President of India might enjoy support even in Opposition, but several controversies surround him making him easily vulnerable to the Criminal charges. While no one can Question his honesty, but few past events may hinder his road to Rashtrapati Bhawan.
1. His name appeared in Hawala Scam. An old ReportÂ suggests that Mr. Mukherjee’s name was involved among others in getting money through Hawala from Jain Brothers. As per the Jainsâ€™ explanations of the diary notations, then External Affairs Minister, Mr Â Pranab Mukherjee allegedly got Rs 10 lakhs.
2. According to Dr. Subramanian Swamy he was involved in providing confidential Data used to rig the stock market. The tapping of Finance Minister Mr. Pranab Mukherjee and his close associate in the Ministry, enabled Mr.Robert Vadra the son-in-law of Ms.Sonia Gandhi and Mr. Karthik son of Mr.P.Chidambaram, to use the data thereby collected to manipulate and rig the Mumbai stock market. Earlier these data were directly provided by the then Finance Minister Mr.Chidambaram.
3. According to Dr. Subramanian Swamy, Â Mr.Mukherjee has been a long time money launderer for Ms. Sonia Gandhi. His frequent trips to Chittarajan Park, New Delhi, over the last two decades was to arrange for money transfers for Ms.Sonia Gandhi through hawala operators.
Hasan Ali was a conduit for Mr.Pranab Mukherjeeâ€”athrough Ms.Sonia Gandhi, Political Secretary Mr.Ahmed Patel MP. Mr.Patel has met Mr.Hasan Ali many times according to the interrogation records with the Maharashtra Police.
4. Mukherjee was a Minister inÂ Indira Gandhi’s Cabinet during the infamousÂ EmergencyÂ and was held by many to be personally responsible for some of the excesses.Â He was summoned before theÂ Shah CommissionÂ but followed Mrs. Gandhi’s lead in refusing to resign before it. A police case was registered against him which was withdrawn when Mrs. Gandhi returned to power.
5.Â S. GurumurthyÂ andÂ Arun ShourieÂ exposed how Pranab Mukerjee, the then Finance Minister of India helpedÂ Reliance IndustriesÂ againstÂ Bombay DyeingÂ through differential taxation by influencing the Income Tax Department in textile industry.Â As a result Bombay Dyeing was almost decimated.
6. Mukherjee was involved in handlingÂ Taslima Nasreen’s house arrest in Delhi, as the Foreign Minister. Dealing with a situation involving her expulsion forÂ Kolkata, anger from Islamic radicals, and her protection in a safehouse, Mukherjee received criticism for actions leading to Nasreen’s eventual departure from India in March 2008.
7. He has also been accused of threatening banks if they invest inÂ GujaratÂ by sending the Income Tax Department sleuths after them, a state governed by theÂ Bharatiya Janata Party