2013 Delhi Infant Rape Case: Justice for Gudiya

The 2013 Delhi Infant Rape Case involves the abduction and rape of a 5 year old Girl (nicknamed Gudiya) on April 15, 2013 at a neighbourhood of Gandhinagar, New Delhi.  The Accused, named Manoj Kumar Sah, kept her under abduction for two days and tortured her brutally in a closed room. The accused has been arrested from Muzaffarpur Bihar and brought to New Delhi. The Rape Victim is undergoing treatment at AIIMS and her condition is said to be stable


Gudiya, aged 5 years, was abducted on Monday April 16  afternoon while she was playing outside the house. Not finding her daughter, her 23-year-old mother informed her husband who works as a mason. The family approached the police but Police tried to ignore the issue. Manoj lived in the same building as the victim’s family and worked as a labourer in a garment factory. Manoj’s room was locked and nobody thought that the girl was inside.

On Wednesday, a neighbour heard the wails of the girl in the morning, and sensing something suspicious, informed her family members, who then broke open the door and found the victim. Her condition was very serious. She was crying and needed help.

The Girl has been admitted to AIIMS and her condition is said to be stable. A doctor treating her said that he and his colleagues had never seen such a brutal rape. They said a bottle and pieces of candle were found thrust into the private parts of the girl.

“We found a 200 ml bottle and two or three pieces of candle inserted into her private parts. This is the first time I have seen such barbarism,” said R.K. Bansal, medical superintendent, Swami Dayanand Hospital.

“There were injuries on her lips, cheeks, arms and anus area, and bruise marks on her neck, suggesting that attempts were made to strangle her. The blood pressure was way below normal,” the doctor said.

The Accused Manoj left New Delhi immediately, sensing trouble and went to his in-laws house in a village of Muzaffarpur Bihar. He was however nabbed from his in-laws village at Chiknauta by a special team of Delhi Police and Bihar Police, around 2: 00 AM on Saturday Morning.

A Special Court in Muzaffarpur provided him on Transit Remand to Delhi Police  and he has been brought to New Delhi.  He has been charged under kidnapping, rape, attempt to murder and under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act, 2012.

Manoj has been alleged to be a serial Rapist. As per reports,  Manoj had sexually assaulted his wife prior to the Marriage. It was only under the subsequent pressure of villagers that he was forced to marry his wife.

During Investigation Manoj told the Police that he was watching  Porns while sexually assaulting the five year old.

Police Inaction

The cops at local Gandhinagar Police Station refused to lodge an FIR. “We went to police to register a FIR (First Information Report) but they refused. They never tried to find her, and instead drove us away,” said the father of Victim.

When the family finally found the girl on Wednesday morning after hearing her screams, the cops offered the family Rs. 2,000 to keep mum.  “The police told us not to highlight the issue in the media and gave us Rs.2,000 as ‘kharcha-pani’,” said the father, adding the police told them to “thank god that his daughter was alive”.


This Brutal Rape re-ignited the fire which burnt whole nation during the Damini Rape Case in December 2012. Protesters gathered outside Swami Dayanand Hospital and heckled away several ministers when they came to visit the Victim. Some protesters entered the hospital premises and had a tiff with police officers.

An assistant commissioner of police was suspended for slapping a 17-year-old girl demonstrator at the hospital. As television channels flashed the incident, Bani Singh Ahlawat, posted at Khajuri Khas in east Delhi, was suspended for slapping Beenu Rawat, a Class 12 student.

About 1,000 people gathered to demonstrate outside the police headquarters in New Delhi, where several people tried to break through metal barricades. TV news channels reported that some people tried to attack the man and others threw shoes at him as police led him through Patna airport in Bihar state to board a plane back to New Delhi.

Scores of BJP supporters were stopped by police near the Parliament House on Saturday when they tried to take out a candlelight march towards India Gate. Police arrested a number of protesters, including Delhi BJP Chief Vijay Goel, but later released them.